We will resume our regular flippant writing content after this post.
I need to divert from talking about writing to discuss something important. You may have seen my previous posts—Psycho Kitty (aka Pig) died on July 7. When I caught her for transport to the vet, she bit me quite hard on both hands (poor little baby; it wasn’t her fault).
We got to the vet, but there was nothing he could do for her. From the symptoms I described, he thought she might have had a heart problem. I took her home and buried her in the backyard, near her favorite bush, her favorite toys with her.
Within three hours of the actual bite, my hand looked like this:
Photo: Elizabeth West
It hurt like I’d been shot. Since it was after eight o’clock and the urgent care closes then, I went to the emergency room with an infection called cellulitis. They gave me a small bag of IV antibiotic, a tetanus shot, an ultrasound, and a prescription for oral antibiotics, but it wasn’t enough to overtake the infection.
The next night, I was back in the ER–it got worse.
More IV dope, and they popped me in the hospital for two days. I must have had five or six bags of the stuff altogether–four hours on the drip, then a couple hours off, then four more hours, etc. Round the clock. They took an x-ray to check for bone involvement. Fortunately, my bones were good to go.
Finally, they discharged me and sent me home. I’m still taking the oral antibiotics, and though my cartoonish hand has resumed normal proportions, my finger is still swollen and painful with limited range of motion. I’ve been assured by a hand surgeon that it will heal, and I have a follow-up appointment with my primary care physician in the morning.
I don’t blame my kitty. She was very ill and she had never bitten me like that before. I don’t know if she even realized it was her mummy trying to stuff her into a carrier.
Photo: Elizabeth West
I’ve been telling everybody who will listen to please, PLEASE take animal bites, especially on your hands, and any signs of infection from any wound seriously. Cat bites in particular are very dangerous–their teeth are like little needles that poke the germs right in there. And your joints have lovely sacs of synovial fluid, which bacteria just LOVE.
Watch yourself, everyone. You don’t want to go through this. I was lucky it didn’t get worse. And I miss my kitty.