YARR! Happy Talk Like a Pirate Day, ye scurvy bilge rats!
Today is International Talk Like a Pirate Day, September 19. Every year on this momentous occasion, would-be pirates dress up, scoff a tankard o’grog and dance the hornpipe in celebration of a bit o’ silly fun.
How did this holiday start? Well, me lubbers, click on the link near the crow’s nest of this article for a detailed explanation of why people are running around saying things like “Ahoy!” and “Avast!” today. It’s mostly for fun, and we all could use a pint o’ that!
How do ye celebrate this day of days, ye be wonderin’? Ye talk like a pirate, that’s what. And act like one, iffen ye can get away with it. But what if you’re at work, as ye may be next year, when the holiday falls on Monday?
If yer captain isn’t too scurvy of a tyrant, ye can answer the phone with a hearty “ARRR!” If he’s a whip-crackin’ slave driver, ye could stage a mutiny. Or ye could keep it on the QT, among yer shipmates (coworkers).
Some ways to enjoy Pirate Day at work:
- Make up a pirate name and insist everyone call ye by it. Find one here!
- Call people things like “bilge rat,” or “knave.” Everyone will think yer nuts, but that’s part of the fun of it! Look here for some language help.
- Wear something piratey to work. Fer the menfolk, a casual dress environment means ye can wear a Jolly Roger t-shirt, a bandanna or an eyepatch even, if yer cap’n don’t have a peg leg up his arse. A hoop in yer earhole will lend a seafarin’ touch. If yer stuck wearin’ business clothes, a skull tie pin or somethin’ subtle be yer best bet. Wenches, ye can wear a frilly ruffly blouse and skull earrings, or some epic hoop earrings if ye like. Add some boots and black pants with a scarf for a belt and ye have a nice pirate outfit that don’t look like yer gonna walk the plank.
- Add pirate clip art to all yer emails.
- Eat lunch at a buffet that serves things like chicken legs, fried fish, mashed taters, and hearty breads and desserts. Pirates ate a-plenty when there was plenty to have. Pack ye a big, meaty sandwich and some chocolate coins for sweets if there’s no galley nearby or ye can’t jump ship. Throw in some oranges so ye don’t get scurvy!
- Read Treasure Island on yer break. Gotta keep up the image!
- Describe things in nautical terms. Like “The Chumley account is three leagues from bein’ complete!” or “”Hoist the mainsail, and let’s finish our slog before Happy Hour!”
Use yer imagination, lubbers, and if ye come up with some other ways to make the daily deck-swab on next year’s Talk Like a Pirate Day a rip-roarin’ party, post ‘em in the comments. Shovin’ off now. Enjoy, me hearties!
Avast! This be a great poaste with awesome links!
I thankee, me fine pirate lass!
Pingback: Happy International Talk Like a Pirate Day 2014! | Graphomaniac – Elizabeth West